Archie's Reviews > The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists

The Game by Neil Strauss

U 50x66
Feb 18, 09

Read in August, 2007

I read this fabulous book about 6-months before it exploded on the pop-culture scene. As an aging hipster, I like to brag about how I was there before the rest of the pack.

Personal scenester issues aside, the books starts out tailored towards men. It introduced the lead character, Neil Strauss, who is well, just an "average frustrated chump" due to his below average physical appearance and low self-esteem. It then introduces a gang of pick up artists who supposedly have lots and lots of sex with women. And well, that is the goal of Neil: to seduce women to his heart's content. And this is why it is filled cheesy pick up artist tips for all the lusty lothario types out there.

Clearly, this is for the guys. Women might find it sickening or annoying, but then again, women like "Friends" and "Coldplay" - so what do they know?

The last third of the book or so, is what made this book a winner in my eyes. It exhibits a certain charm and sensitivity, and I feel women will appreciate, if not, admire it.

In conclusion, this book is an absolute page turner. I find it difficult to put it down. I would have given it a full 5-star score, but I already knew everything it was trying to teach, so I guess I did not learn anything.

Well, besides that Neil Strauss is one of the better writers of our generation. And of course, that men truly are scum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.