Natalie's Reviews > Brian's Hunt

Brian's Hunt by Gary Paulsen

Jun 24, 12

Read in June, 2012

First off, note the title of this book. I didn’t realize until I was about 60 pages in or so why the book is called Brian’s Hunt.

For myself, I’m an adult now. I read The Hatchet probably about 20 years ago, most likely when it was still a relatively new book. I was a real bookworm, but due to not having such things like internet and google, my only way of finding out if an author had new books was to go to my local bookstore or library and check.

Therefore it wasn’t until a few years ago I realized Mr. Paulsen was continuing The Hatchet series. I found out about The River, but then learned of the alternative ending to The Hatchet in Brian’s Winter.

The latter book is somewhat connected to this book. And to its predecessor, Brian’s Return.

In this book Brian is continuing his journey to visit the trapper family that helped him in Brian’s Winter.

I have to say I liked this one a little bit better than Brian’s Return. Okay, I admit it. It’s because Brian finds an injured sled dog, and I’m very partial to dogs.

Anyway, with that being said, the finding of this injured animal is connected to everything else in the story, ultimately leading to…Brian’s hunt.

I would caution any parents wanting to get this book for their children to read it first for themselves. Like The Hatchet, there’s nothing more gruesome than nature itself, however, the…situation that Brian finds himself might scare young children. I can’t say more or else it gives away the big climax at the end of the story.

As for the story itself, I want to say, although I can’t be sure, that the writing is slightly different in this one than it was in previous books. I can’t really put my finger on it, except to say I think Mr. Paulsen perhaps interjected into his writing style a more contemporary feel. I shall give an example.

At one point in the book, Brian contemplates shooting a deer. However, he opts not to do so. The dog, alongside him, looks over at him, as if to say, are you going to shoot or what?

Something to this affect. I didn’t’ quote that verbatim, but one gets the idea. To my best recollection, this is first time Mr. Paulsen has done something like this in his books, and in my opinion, I like it very much. Before it seemed Brian was very serious and everything was no-nonsense. Which is as it should be, I suppose, considering his age and the fact that he’s alone in wilderness with just a bow and quiver of arrows. But the tinge of…personality to this unnamed dog was a good touch.

I could say more, but being that it was such a short book I won’t. I will be curious to see if Mr. Paulsen continues Brian’s journey. At first he indicated he wouldn’t, but in this book he says he will stop saying that. So we shall see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brian's Hunt.