Natalie's Reviews > Brian's Return

Brian's Return by Gary Paulsen

Jun 24, 2012

Read in June, 2012

It was about 20 years ago in school that my teacher read to us The Hatchet. It was always one of my favorite books. One that I would come back to and read occasionally as I got older.

I started re-visiting classics that were popular when I was a child. So with the power of the internet, I was able to discover, much to my surprise, that Gary Paulsen hadn’t been idle with his young character, Brian. Naturally I knew about The River, but not that fans had badgered Mr. Paulsen to write an alternative to The Hatchet’s ending. Which, is invariably, how fans came to have Brian’s Winter. Anyway, with all that being said, I lost track of time and once again I went researching Gary Paulsen and discovered he’d written more Brian adventures. Here are my thoughts on the series thus far…

I believe that Mr. Paulsen had kept the integrity of the character. The writing sounds the same, as does young Brian.

Of course, being an adult, the story felt a little too short, but keeping in mind that this book wasn’t made for an old fuddy-duddy like myself, I felt was a good fit. Young readers will delight in Brian’s return to the wilderness. Personally, I was most captivated by the knowledge of Brian, and all that he explained about living in the wilderness.

As for the story itself, I think of this like a combination of The Hatchet and The River. Brian sets off to visit a trapper family he met in Brian’s Winter. He flies out the first leg, but the second leg he gets out his canoe and paddles the rest of the way.

The entire book is simply as I’ve stated, although there is a climax at the end of the story, like most books usually do.

Overall, a good continuation to the series. I might be a little too old for these books, but I really do think young readers will enjoy them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brian's Return.

05/11 marked as: read