Jane Lebak's Reviews > The Smart One and the Pretty One

The Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LaZebnik

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: womens-fiction
Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

It took me a while to warm up to this story. The author over-told a lot of things she could have shown (eg, in the second to last chapter, the romantic interest says something about the younger sister being flighty; the older sister defends her, and the narrator says, "She always defended her sister when an outsider criticized her." Um, yeah, we know because you've shown it happen many times already. :-) ) This kept yanking me out of the story.

But overall, I did enjoy the book. Both sisters had characteristics that could have turned them into caricatures, but instead LaZebnik developed them both individually and as a team.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smart One and the Pretty One.

Quotes Jane Liked

Claire LaZebnik
“[Ava] had always thought the main relationship in the family was the one between Nancy and her daughters. To have a family, you needed a father, of course, and Jimmy had played that role perfectly well, if you were okay with an old-fashioned interpretation of the job. But the Nickerson family was all about the women and their noisy, bickering, gossiping, interfering relationships with one another.

And now it seemed that maybe she ahd been looking at it all wrong. Maybe she and Lauren were just the icing, and the basic, underlying cake of the family was the couple in front of her who had a shared history she knew very little about.”
Claire LaZebnik, The Smart One and the Pretty One