Tara's Reviews > Fifty Shades Freed

Jun 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, kindle, romance
Read from June 24 to 25, 2012

Alright, alright, I admit it. I ended up buying into the hype, hook, line and sinker. It definitely could have been worse. Yes, there’s a lot of strange, kinky sex, and it’s not the sort of book you want to be seen reading in the work staffroom (or by your Mother), and yes the storyline leaves something to be desired, but there’s something deliciously mindless and enjoyably indulgent about it all the same.

Admittedly, this was not my favourite book of the series. Having read them all one after the other, I’m not particularly sure what is. My main issue with this one is similar to my main issue with Twilight, and that is that everything ends too perfectly, with everyone happy, except for perhaps Ethan and Mia, because what happened to them in the end was not made clear. Ana got everything she wanted, including lots and lots of vanilla sex, she got to touch Christian when nobody else could, his exes are all safely out of the picture, and she runs a publishing house.

Another thing with this installment is that there is a lot of melodramatic action throughout, with interludes filled with hot (if kinky) sex. And lots of it. Ana kind of grated on me, and for a girl who apparently has a GPA of 4.0 (I’m not American, but am led to believe this is perfect) she makes some pretty stupid decisions. Also, Christian in this was a bit of an overprotective arse, except where it really mattered. Basically in this, I didn’t enjoy any of the characters, unfortunately, and the storyline didn’t really make up for them. And yet, somehow, I still couldn’t put the damn book down.

There are also loads and loads of declarations of this overbearing love, and really, a lot of things in this book basically seemed a bit over the top. Much like Breaking Dawn, though I know I really need to lay off the Twilight comparisons.

I liked the epilogue, that rounded things off, and I liked reading in Christian’s voice. In many ways, I think he would have made a much more interesting narrative voice than Ana. Ah well.

As a basic round up to the series, all the books are mindless, filled with sex, and leave a lot to be desired in the way of characterization and storyline. And yet, there’s something about them. I’m not sure if it’s gross fascination, or whether it’s something else entirely, but you just can’t put them down. I can see why there’s a lot of hate for them, but I can also see the hype, too. Basically, I think this is definitely one to read if you’re curious, but only if you’re old enough, and okay with some serious “kinky f***ery”, to use Ana’s phrase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Freed.