Caris's Reviews > Hamlet

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1609700
's review
Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, shakespeare
Read on March 07, 2012, read count: 2

THIS BOOK IS ABOUT GO FUCK YOURSELF.
27 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hamlet.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Esteban del Mal THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BUNCH


Caris It really had nothing to do with Hamlet, you're right.


Caris *dulls tip of pointy stick*

Sorry.


Esteban del Mal C'mon. Hamlet is great, but to go fuck yourself or not to go fuck yourself has always been the question.


Eh?Eh! Is this your way of saying you're done with the ALL CAPS reviews?


Sparrow I kind of think Hamelet IS about go fuck yourself.


Caris Eh? Eh! wrote: "Is this your way of saying you're done with the ALL CAPS reviews?"

Yes.


Caris Meredith wrote: "I kind of think Hamelet IS about go fuck yourself."

Elaborate, please.


Sparrow Well, Hamlet's totally fucked. He's lost everything he ever cared about - his dad, Ophelia, his faith in humanity and the universe. He can't kill himself because of the church's prohibition against it. He can't kill Claudius because he hears Claudius repenting, and, again, the church. So, he goes out fighting because fuck you.


Caris I'm worried that you may be a genius.


Sparrow Caris wrote: "I'm worried that you may be a genius."

Oh no. not that.


Caris I'm concerned as well.


Sparrow It might be because I ran out of B-vitamins. I'll try to eat some blueberries tomorrow and maybe it'll clear up. ummm. don't tell anyone else.


Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Maybe you'll like the movie with Bill Murray and Ethan Hawke...


Caris Bill fuckin' Murray? I'll have to seek that one out. Though I was just lamenting yesterday how I seem to really dislike Shakespeare movies.


Sparrow Caris wrote: "Bill fuckin' Murray? I'll have to seek that one out. Though I was just lamenting yesterday how I seem to really dislike Shakespeare movies."

That is too bad. I think they are an acquired taste, though.


Eh?Eh! Bird Brian, you do realize you're talking to the guy who loves crab horror and D-movies?


Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I was half-jokingly suggesting a version of Shakespeare without all the Shakespearean language. I saw that movie over a decade ago. I barely remember it.

Scotland, PA is a fun take on Macbeth.


Caris I did enjoy Scotland, PA. But that was a proper reimagining. And Andy Dick was fuckin' weird.

For the record, though, I'll take Bill fuckin' Murray over Branaugh any day of the week. No matter how stupid the context.


Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I don't remember disliking or liking the modern day take on Hamlet. If it sucks, I'm blame-free. However, feel free to thank me if you like it.


Caris You will take my blame and you will like it.


Caris As with all things, Netflix streaming availability is the determining factor.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to say it again: Strange Brew is the best Hamlet movie ever.


message 24: by Terry (new)

Terry Ceridwen wrote: "I'm going to say it again: Strange Brew is the best Hamlet movie ever."

Beauty, eh!


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hoser!


message 26: by Terry (new)

Terry Take off!


Sparrow Ceridwen wrote: "I'm going to say it again: Strange Brew is the best Hamlet movie ever."

Word.


message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom Lichtenberg spoiler alert!


Heather Rose Oh man... Great thread


Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Elizabeth wrote: "Emo. Angst ridden."

And Shakespeare's Hamlet isn't these things?


message 31: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Jan 29, 2013 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Not defending the Hawke performance since I really don't remember it, but slagging a portrayal of Hamlet for being angst ridden seems like criticizing a portrayal of Gandhi for being pacificistic and hunger-strike-y.


Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I take your point. I guess I was solely zeroing in on the term 'angst' in a broader sense, which I think Hamlet has in spades. But 'whiny teenage emo,' sure, is not the character. I really can't speak to the Hawke performance at all. I don't remember it, because I saw the movie eons ago and it didn't make much of an impression on me, either positively or negatively.


Jason I like the Kenneth Branagh adaptation even though it's long. I have a thing for Kenneth Branagh though, I guess. In Branagh's version, I'd say Hamlet is more manic than angsty.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

More of a wanker, more like.


Jason A lovable wanker?


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

If by lovable you mean too old, then yes.

I'm just kidding! Well, not completely. I just dislike Branagh's earnest head bobbing and making out with Winslet. I did see the Tennant Hamlet not that long ago, and I thought that was a solid take on the Danish Prince.


Sparrow Gag Branagh-Hamlet. But, I do love Mel Gibson's Hamlet, and I got reprimanded at work for that last week. Whatever, though, just because someone is an asshole doesn't mean everything they do is assholey.


message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2013 07:26AM) (new)

I really dislike Branagh's Hamlet for the totality of it, not precisely his performance, which I cannot remember at all. (Bad sign.)

Gibson's Hamlet is totally solid, and people who don't get that are lame.


message 39: by Sparrow (last edited Jan 30, 2013 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sparrow Agreed on both counts. The Branagh's To Be or Not is soooooo overblown. Really, mirrors??? I feel like that was when he hit his phase of total sophomoric masturbation. The mirror part is really all I remember. And Helena Bonham Carter is Ophelia in the Gibson one, and who would even want to try to beat that?

But, Much Ado About Nothing is after Hamlet, huh? And I do love that one and Branagh in it.


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I think his sophomoric masturbation peaked with Frankenstein, and he's been coming back down since then. Or maybe I have my chronology wrong.


message 41: by Sparrow (last edited Jan 30, 2013 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sparrow Haha that was definitely the peak. That was off the hook.


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Srsly. I keep thinking about seeing it again because it's so freaking crazy with ego and self-importance. It's almost brilliant when you think about it, considering Frankenstein's character.


Sparrow I know the over-identification and Branagh himself as BRANAGH were their own monsters.


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Branagh with the phrase: What is he whose awesome bears such emphasis

Also, I caught a gander at the blond hair and van dyke beard he was sporting in Hamlet - I had forgotten/blocked that detail - and bad choice, my man.


Miriam just because someone is an asshole doesn't mean everything they do is assholey.

If only it DID mean that, then assholes would fail at everything and assholism would be stamped out forever!


back to top