Anneliese's Reviews > In the Woods

Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: crime-drama
Recommended to Anneliese by: Random
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I super super enjoyed this book; the only reason I didn't finish it in one day was because I had to leave for a concert :) Tana French's writing is lovely; there are some turns of phrase that make vivid landscapes appear for you, or make you feel sheer panic/terror/joy. The detectives are human, with believable good and bad qualities. The old missing children case that follows around the main detective, Adam, is never solved, and that's ok; the new dead child case is, and it's terrifyingly brilliant. There are some fantastic threads of spirituality and old religion that weave their way subtly and understatedly throughout the book; easy to ignore if you want to, and easy to take to heart to add the tiniest mystical touch. Whatever did happen to the missing children? I'm going with Adam's take on it, because his thoughts are sad and beautiful and unprovable:
"Sometimes I think of the ancient gods who demanded that their sacrifices be fearless and without blemish, and I wonder whether, whoever or whatever took Peter and Jamie away, it decided I wasn't good enough."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.