Carol's Reviews > The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie

The Vow by Kim Carpenter

Aug 12, 12

Read from June 24 to August 12, 2012

I'm halfway through the book and even with the carrot of finding out how Kim and Krickitt came back together, I'm disappointed with the book for the following reasons. First, the story has only been in Kim's voice [would have liked to have heard Krickitt's side of what happened after the accident]. Second, Kim is very repetitive and sometimes rushes ahead with details that should have been kept until their place in the timeline of the story [i.e. you find out about their two children while Krickett is still in a coma]. Third, Kim's focus is on minute [sometimes unnecessary] details that could have been summarized in a better way [a good editor would have made this a much better book] and finally, Kim doesn't share his deeper thoughts about what happened and how he dealt with it. He recounts the events with some emotion, but it comes across to me as being in the third person and not from his heart. Phrases like, "my wife of two months" is so dry. If your loved one is injured what comes to your mind? For me, it's their name, not their marital status and how long we've known each other. The Carpenters' story reads more like reporting. It needs to go deeper into what made their relationship solid in the first place; before, during and into the present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vow.