Jessica Johnson's Reviews > Shark Bait

bookshelves: 2012
Read on June 24, 2012

Shark Bait by Jenn Cooksey

Goodreads Description:

Previously homeschooled Camie Ramsey is being shoved into the shark-infested waters of public high school, where even helium filled, penguin bespeckled arm floaties likely won’t help keep her inexperienced, fifteen-year old head above water in that rip current of hormones and emotions.
Camie’s worldly wisdom might be severely lacking (i.e., the closest she’s come to being kissed was sitting too close to the TV whilst Jake Ryan leaned in to give Samantha that fateful 16th birthday kiss), but she does understand her only hope for survival is if she’s thrown some kind of “social” life preserver before she sinks like a freaking rock. However, what will her fate be when she endeavors to flag down the only lifeguard on duty, the enormously popular and ridiculously beautiful Tristan Daniels? The most sought after and virtually most unattainable guy in school who not only makes Camie’s heart flatline on a recurring basis, he’s also the one guy who seemingly doesn’t know she exists.

Feeling like an inept piece of chum that could ultimately be swallowed by Jaws, can Camie get Tristan to rescue her from floundering in the treacherous deep, or is she destined to be Shark Bait?

Author's Note:
While the tales themselves are fictional, some of the events and characters are very loosely based in reality and on my experiences—but don’t worry, the names of the characters, most of their unfortunate fashion sense and/or questionable taste in music has been changed to protect the not-so innocent.
______________________________________________

Due to language and some adult content, this book may not be suitable for readers under the age of 16.

Why did I pick this?

Honestly? This book, in a way, picked me. Ha!

Actually, Jenn Cooksey found me via Twitter and chatted me up. I talked to her for a while and thought (and still think) that she is absolutely one of the sweetest people I know. She asked me to check out her book and if I would be interested in reading it.

I read the description and thought it sounded adorable so I said yes. (I might have batted my eyelashes) ;-)

What did I think?

So my initial thought that this book was adorable. I was completely correct. What I hadn't though about was, was how much I would LOVE this book.

I think what actually caught my attention was the writing style that Cooksey has. The story is narrated by Camie and I instantly fell in love with her. Her attitude is adorable and her snarkiness is incomparable.

So I'll start this off by introducing the characters :-)

Camie: The narrator and all-around hero. She has been homeschooled for most of her life by her mother. Once her mother becomes too sick to continue, she is forced to enter into a public highschool for the first time. I really, really enjoyed Camie's snark and attitude. But what I loved was that no matter what she was for family. I can relate to that considering I have a big family myself.

Tristan: Sa-woon. What a hottie. But oh so complicated. I don't think I've ever read a more complicated fellow. Once you get past all the complications, he is truly drool worthy. What a dreamboat. A swimmer? Hel-lo washboard abs and cut arms. But he also has a good heart and is very sweet.

Jillian: If I ever had a little sister, I would totally want her to be it. She kicks so much arse, it's hilarious. She is very smart and has a sinister mind. But in a good way. I'd never want to be on her bad side. Ever. She is loyal to the death with Camie and it's really awesome.

The story was beautifully and hysterically written. I adored every word that jumped off the page. Once I started, I was unable to stop. The interactions between all the characters flowed. I was taken back to my 16 year old self with a bit os nostalgia. Ahhhh the teenage years. :-) She completely captured the way a 16 year old thinks.

Along with the laughs, this also has plenty of swoony moments and heart-wrenching moments. Cooksey truly has a way with words and character development. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and see what happens next.

If you haven't gotten a chance to pick this up, do it NOW! Get it at Amazon. It's only $2.99.

Favorite Quote:

One of my favorite lines is from Camie's dad. Her parents are the coolest. ;-)

"That being said, you are under no circumstances to ever, and I mean never young lady, get in a car with someone who's been drinking or doing drugs. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, Daddy, I won't. I promise."

"I mean it Cameron. I don't care if it's Jesus himself behind the wheel, if He's been sippin' on His own homemade wine, you call for a ride home," my dad said sternly with a hint of an evangelical tone in his voice.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shark Bait.

06/24/2012
61.0% "omg I freakin love Jillian. The way she gets back at Teresa is awesome."

April I see this and I was like, what? grab your pole! then I saw that it was you reading it. Not surprised.

Jessica Johnson hahaha! It's not what you think you dirty-minder! I actually loved this book!