Jo (Mixed Book Bag)'s Reviews > Born to Darkness

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, science-fiction, science-fiction-romance
Read in June, 2012

Science Fiction/Paranormal/Romance

There were a lot of reviews when Born to Darkness came out and they were all over the grid for rating. Some people loved it, some hated it and there was all in between. Since it had a science fictionfuturistic/paranormal theme it caught my attention so put in a hold at my local library and waited for it to come in so I could decide for myself.

So what do I think about Born to Darkness. Well for starters I can see why it got such a mix of reviews.

The story in Born to Darkness is great. It kept me reading and on the edge of my seat. However since this is a brand new world there was a lot of time spent world building and during that time the story went on vacation. All of that was necessary and it was done in an active way but it still slowed everything down.

I liked the main characters. Unlike some books where there are only two, in Born to Darkness there are a whole host. All are important to the story and time is spent on character development for each. Some of that can be done within the main story line but some cannot and again that slows the main story down. On the plus side I will know a lot about each character when the next book in the series comes out.

Those are the two main reasons I see for the reviews being as diverse as they are. For people who have read previous books by Brockmann this book was not as fast paced as others and that may be why they were disappointed.

For some of the characters there is an HEA but for some it is left hanging. The immediate problem is solved in Born to Darkness but the reason behind the problem is still out there waiting for next book in the Fighting Destiny Series.

Where did I come down on the review grid? I loved it and will be looking for the next in the series.

Ballantine Books published Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann in 2012.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Darkness.