Terri's Reviews > The Butterfly Cabinet

F_50x66
Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: book-club
Read from June 23 to July 04, 2012

Metaphors abound in this book. Maybe too much. I found in my mind wandering when Harriet would go off on a tangent when I should have been paying attention. I am sure the butterflies were a metaphor but I couldn't quite place it.

I do not feel a murder took place; rather an accident based on one person's philosophy of child rearing, however harsh it may be. Harriet was clearly a distant mother, lacking outward affection. This was taught to her at an early age by her mother. She did, however, have a strong sense of child rearing and thought it was her responsibility to raise her kids to be good citizens.

I was sad for Maddie who could never mother her child. Mothering other people's children is not quite the same and I felt that so much was lost in her life. She also, was distant from her child, though not by her choice.

It finally came together that Anna and Conor where having her great grandchild. Anna being her surrogate child in a sense, and Conor, her biological grandson who she could never "own".

I hope that the baby was born when Maddie was still alive so that she could hold it and claim it as her own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly Cabinet.