Marlous's Reviews > Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: bbc-book-list-challenge
Read in August, 2011

31 juli 2011
At the back of the Dutch version: "Never heard of Captain Corelli? Lucky strike! You have a very epic story before you!
At page 107 (of the 474) I did not yet feel lucky. I cannot get into the story, because i do not get the feeling of a story (yet). Based on the events on the island of Kefallinia, de Bernieres shows the shows the effects of war, natural disasters and economic progress for the lives of ordinary people. The ordinary people, yes i met them. The events i have not noticed at all.

Only at the end the story got me. It started at the chapter about 1953. The war is long over, but the aftermath is still very present and all of a sudden i started to empathize with all the characters. Although I still do not know what events should have happened. The doctor for instance, is gone for two years and then returns. That's it.
The last part touched me again to tears. So sad and secretly bit hopeful. And again it it's proven; misunderstandings can cause perhaps the biggest problems in the world.

Despite the fact that the end was touching, i did not really like the book. Epic reviews created an epic story, that i did not read in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Corelli's Mandolin.