Sean Kennedy's Reviews > Dead Europe

Dead Europe by Christos Tsiolkas

Jun 29, 12

Read from June 24 to 29, 2012

This is the third book I've read of Tsiolkas', and it will most likely be my last. His books are so unremittingly bleak, but also done in such a way that they come across like a sophomoric I-hate-the-world-and-everybody-sucks mentality. Like he shuts himself in his room and screams "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME, OKAY?"

In his worlds, there is no good. And as a gay author and inclusive of gay characters in his text it often comes across like self-hatred - and even more so in this book populated by sociopathic arseholes whose depravity is beyond difficult to read. I know it's all meant to be some metaphor for the horrors of WWII and the Holocaust, but there's only so much over the top sex, drugs, vampirism and violence you can take. And then there's the good old child raping, because you know that gay men are all pedophiles.

Even the one 'likable' character turns out to be an ex-Stormfront member who refuses to get rid of his Swastika tattoo.

I'm not saying that gay characters have to be saints, but Tsiolkas doesn't have any 'good' characters at all. They all seem to be irredeemable, and although this is carried over in his other books like "The Slap" with heterosexual characters as well, and he needs to start experimenting with new themes.

Oh, and lose the self-loathing homophobia and depicting every gay character as a predatory shit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Europe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Kennedy There's a difference between an unlikable protagonist and a detestable one, isn't there?