Antof9's Reviews > Enemy Women

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, americana, animals, fathers, first-novel, historical, liberry, military, southern, women, yes-another-book-club
Read from June 24 to 29, 2012

** spoiler alert ** And once again I wish for half stars! It didn't seem fair to give this two, but it's not quite worthy of three, either.

I found parts of this very interesting. Adair's story in and of itself is fascinating. But as I was reading it last night, at just past the halfway point, it broke away from her story and started following Neumann. That was really distracting and hard to follow. I found myself skimming that part quite a bit. I just didn't care enough about him. As part of Adair's story; sure - I wanted to know if he was alive or dead. But other than that, there was no need to write about him on his own. When it went back to Adair, I was engrossed once again.

Of course, from a righteous judgement standpoint, I did like Neumann's encounter with Poth.

I'm still not sure about the writing style in this. The lack of quotation marks, especially, was really annoying. What was the point?

But it was interesting, and a part of our country's history I knew nothing about. I also found the Missouri history fascinating. Imagine being a state that goes back and forth, back and forth, between being North and South!

I mentioned in one of my status updates, and I'll say it again here that the excerpts at the beginning of each chapter were interesting for a time, but I quickly lost interest in them. I don't think I read any of the last half of the book. I was definitely over them by the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enemy Women.

06/24/2012 page 13
06/24/2012 page 21
7.0% "Where are the quotation marks? Rather annoying."
06/29/2012 page 268
83.0% "At first, the excerpts at the beginning of each chapter were fascinating. After a whole, they became long and boring. Haven't read one in several chapters."
show 1 hidden update…