Audrey's Reviews > Healing Night: The Science and Spirit of Sleeping, Dreaming, and Awakening

Healing Night by Rubin R. Naiman

Oct 16, 2008

bookshelves: currently-reading, healing-related

I found it really interesting to expand the concept of sleep from the mechanistic one of how many REMs we have to a holistic one that includes the night time. The author talks about how most sleeping problems have to do with our fear of looking at our dark side. All the sleep aids in the world will not help with that exploration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healing Night.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Sounds like a compelling theory, and one that I am developing more and more of a sense and feeling for, and attunement with. I may check this one out. thanks Audrey!

message 1: by Mmars (new) - added it

Mmars Just ran across this quote by Naiman which made me curious about the book. "I believe we suffer from a darkness deficiency. recent findings suggest that there may be beneficial effects associated with time awake in a darkened space. Just as light stimulates the release of serotonin, which energizes us, darkness encourages the production of melatonin, the key neohormone in our night biology, sleep and dreams." So sitting in darkness is not only a simple pleasure, it's good for me.