Richard Thompson's Reviews > Absent Friends

M_50x66
Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: mystery, read-alouds
Read in June, 2012

This book is very different structurally and thematically from most of Rozan's novels. Not part of the Chin/Smith series.

The story revolves around the lives of seven friends — three girls and four boys — who grew up together in the community of Pleasant Hills (think Pleasantville as in the movie) on Staten Island. We switch back and forth from their lives and relationships in the late 60's and into the 70's and the "present day" which is the period immediately after 911. One of the boys from the Pleasant Hills group became a firefighter and a much decorated hero of very years, and his status as a hero is confirmed when he dies in the collapse of the North Tower while rescuing people trapped in the building. However, a reporter who has been given the job of profiling some of the 911 heroes suspects that there is a darker story lurking in Jimmy McCaffery's past.

With this book we have read either on our own or as read-alouds in Rozan collection (this since March of this year). Hopefully, she has another one in the pipeline...

(The two local radio stations in the building on Third Avenue. An airplane crashes into the building and it collapses.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absent Friends.