C.'s Reviews > Play Him Again

Play Him Again by Jeffrey  Stone

F 50x66
Jul 03, 12

Read from June 24 to July 01, 2012

Great Stuff! Play Him Again by Jeffrey Stone is a feast for anyone interested in the history of movies, prohibition, gangsters, grifters and bootleggers. In Jeff's noire tale, he takes us back to the 1920s when cops were paid to keep a blind eye to rum running and the disbursement of alcohol which fueled many late night Hollywood parties. Hud is a first rate bootlegger to the stars as prohibition is in its upswing, and with prohibition, gangsters and crooks vie for territories to earn their livelihood and they often try to knock each other out of the way to take over certain areas. Not only does Hud run a successful liquor business in the midst of gamblers and theives, he also has dreams of making talking pictures - but he's having a very hard time convincing studio heads that talking pictures is the way of the future, even though The Jazz Singer, featuring Al Jolson was a huge success.

When Hud's long time friend, Danny is killed by a rival, Hud makes it his mission to find the culprit. Along the way, Hud meets many amazing people such as Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, he also picks up enemies who would like to have Hud's territory and booze to profit from.

This is an all around good tale if you are a Hollywood history buff or love gangster stories. Jeffrey Stone shows his passion for the time period in a great tale of intrigue filled with memorable characters. It looks like Jeff intends for this to be a series and I am greatly looking forward to more adventures that involve Hud, Swede, Sylvia, Nora and the rest of the cast of players. I also look forward to all of the interesting tidbits regarding the 1920s. If you enjoy Hollywood history, this is a great book. In this story, we learn the ins and outs of the movie business way back when silent movies ruled and talkies were a thing of the future.

Play Him Again is an ebook that is well edited. I could tell that the author paid great attention to detail and has spent a lot of time perfecting his story. I hope he earns a lot of readers through this first book. Jeff can only get better from here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Him Again.