Ana's Reviews > Lonely Souls

Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton

Jul 11, 12

Read from June 24 to July 02, 2012

When her mother disappears, Triss is left wondering not only what happened, but what will happen next. With everyone assuming that her mother is dead, Triss is conflicted. She doesn’t want to believe but she has no proof except her gut telling her that her mother is still out there. Enter Logan. He’s a friend from junior school and even though she hasn’t seen him in a few years, he believes that something is wrong with the picture everyone is trying to force Triss to accept. He believes that her mother is alive.

The mystery and adventure begin on the very first page when we discover that Triss’s mother has disappeared and slowly builds as we get clues about the world that Triss lives in and the misconceptions she’s been living under. Now, I should tell you that she is a witch and is about to enter the Witch Avenue Order when all of this takes place. Sheltered by her mother all her life, she’s not aware of just how much dark magic exists in the world and she starts to find out quite quickly that some of the people she trusts may not be who she thought they were. The push and pull between dark and light magic in this book was very interesting. The author created an aura of mystery and a sense of “wrongness” about dark magic but still made room for it to be necessary in this world. Of course, I loved the fact that the Witch Avenue Order had a secret library filled with books about family histories and spells…and so was Triss. So much so that it was one of the biggest reasons for her excitement to join the Order.

Triss was a likeable character who used her wits when everything around her was crumbling. Logan was a sweet guy who always put Triss ahead of himself, never pushing her into anything she didn’t want. I must admit that Logan’s undying love for Triss didn’t sit well with me at the beginning and made it hard for me to trust him initially…after all, he hadn’t seen her in years yet he was totally dedicated to her. But he was a mysterious boy with a dark past and that’s always a fun character to read about. And, eventually, I came around and realized that he’s a good match for Triss. The buildup of their love story did make the book feel a bit slow in the beginning but when we reached the half way point and the mystery began to overtake the romance, the story moved much more quickly.

This is an interesting beginning to this series. The author did a great job at creating a world where both dark and light magic exist and where, sometimes, there is a need to blur the lines between them. She created likeable characters, creepy bad guys…and a mystery that I want to see solved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonely Souls.

06/26/2012 page 100