Nikki's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: children-s-and-ya
Read on June 24, 2012

The structure of this book drove me nuts from the start, but there's something very compelling about the story. Voyeuristic, in a way: you want to know, and you get implicated in all of it, and then you need to know. It's quite an impressive way of dealing with the subject of suicide, sure to stir up raw reactions in people.

Unfortunately, the characters don't feel real. It would have been so much more effective if I'd really understood Hannah, rather than finding her spiteful and distant -- or if I'd identified with Clay, rather than finding him too good to be true. I think I was most intrigued by the characters on the sidelines: mostly Tony. I wanted to know more about how he got drawn in and how he felt. And I wanted to know what Clay's mother was thinking, too.

The end should've filled me with hope or something, but... I was half-expecting it. Still, for a younger audience, or maybe just for an audience that needs opening up to the whole topic, this would be a good read.