Lynn's Reviews > Calico Joe

Calico Joe by John Grisham

F 50x66
Jun 24, 12

Read in June, 2012

Loved it! Story is about a young baseball player, a phenom, who comes roaring out of the minors into the majors, breaking all kinds of records and receiving praise and adulation from all fans, other players, sports writers, etc. He is a Cubbie, and people everywhere love him.

Then there is the aging, mid-30's pitcher who wants so badly to be awesome like this young player. He has convinced himself that he still has the right stuff to be awesome. He also wants his family and fans to love him. But he is a mean, alcoholic, womanizing, brutal man, and he feels he doesn't get the respect he richly deserves. He is a Met.

The story is narrated from the pitcher's son. You can see the son trying to love his father. But how can you love someone who bullies you, who hits you and your mom. The son, as all other young boys, loves the phenom, and the dad is jealous.

On the day the phenom and aging pitcher meet, tragedy strikes. Won't go into detail here, but you can guess. The story does have a happy ending, though.

Well written and beautiful story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico Joe.

Robin Garson If you like Calico Joe, I just finished A Pitch For Justice that I enjoyed even more. It looks at a criminal prosecution against a Phillies pitcher who throws a pitch that hits a batter in the head with fatal results.

message 2: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Robin wrote: "If you like Calico Joe, I just finished A Pitch For Justice that I enjoyed even more. It looks at a criminal prosecution against a Phillies pitcher who throws a pitch that hits a batter in the head..."

thanks for the suggestion!