Susie's Reviews > What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Jun 24, 12

Read in June, 2012

I really wasn't sure that I wanted to read this book; I know it has gotten some great early reviews, but the content seemed confusing, especially the way it had been described by Ms. Zhang's editor at the Book Expo.

Wow. I started reading at 9am on Sunday morning and had finished by 12:30. I could not put this book down. The author's style, the storyline, the characters - all combine to make one of the most well written, interesting books I have read in a long time. Although it has been compared to Stephanie Meyer's "The Host", it is far better written and more intriguing. Addie and Eva form a hybrid, but each girl could not be more different. Addie, always considered the dominant character (which is why Eva became dormant) is actually far weaker in many respects, as shown by Eva's daring desire to regain control. Addie is claustrophobic and seems to listen to whatever Eva wants; at first out of pity and guilt, then out of trust and respect. Eva drives the narrative as a character who is unable to move or have her own voice, and you wish so desperately that she could communicate with those around her. These girls are emotional and their love for one another seems to conquer everything.

Ms. Zhang's fictitious world lacks only for further explanation of what has happened since the Great Wars. I can only hope that the rest of the books in the Hybrid Chronicles are as good as this one. I cannot wait to see where Ms. Zhang takes her characters, and if Eva and Addie win in the end, or if their fate is to be that of so many others, living as lonely half-beings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left of Me.