Lauren's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Jun 29, 14

Read from March 08 to 10, 2013

~EDIT #3~ ACTUAL REVIEW (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, I know a lot of people have read/liked my 'review' for the ending of Pandemonium and the blurb of requiem, but here's my long-awaited review of Lauren Oliver's Requiem.

I'm going to be very, very honest here. I didn't like it. Compared to the awesomeness that was Delirium, this was honestly disappointing. I hate when authors sway to far from the original plot of the series, which was exactly what Lauren Oliver has done in this latest installment.

The first book was an exciting tale about two people who were in love, and were determined to keep it that way, despite the costs. Alex and Lena's love story was thrilling and interesting, due to the circumstances of their illegal romance and having the characters experience emotions that were entirely new to them. The second book added more depth to the rebellion side to the plot, but still continued with a forbidden love story between Lena and Julian (no matter how much we may have hated Julian, it was still true to the trilogy's origins of forbidden love).

But this book felt sort of...flat. ESPECIALLY since the ending to the last book was so shocking and exciting, the way Oliver continues the story is disappointing.

Firstly, you'll have to forgive me for leaving out some detail, I read the book over a year ago and I'm only just getting around to the review. But I remember that I was really pissed that the start of this book didn't pick up right after the last book finished. I wanted to know what Lena's immediate reaction was, I wanted to know what was said after "Don't believe her.", I wanted to know their first conversation. I NEEDED TO NOW THESE THINGS BUT I NEVER GOT THE ANSWERS.

There was no spark between Alex and Lena. Their love had been so passionate and intense in the first book, and I honestly refuse to believe that the air between them was so tense. Like yeah, Julian was a big bump in the road, but knowing Alex he would have understood. She obviously believed he was dead, and grief doesn't equal 'not able to find love again'.

Overall, I just wasn't interested in the plot either. I was so focused on wanting Alex to reconcile with Lena that nothing else sparked my interest.

Also, for a book with such bland emotion and frustrating (not in the good way) plot, the ending was awful. Yes, with some books you can get away with an ending that's very brief and vague, but this series needed more. The plot was just too BIG to end like it did. It was in dire need of an explanatory epilogue.

Oh well, some books are just duds. Whatever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~EDIT #2~ BLURB THINGY: "After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge."

Ha, I love how the description/blurb says NOTHING about Alex coming back. Probably JUST to torture us that wee bit more ;) But I love this, and I can't wait for Lena to meet up again with Hana.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~EDIT~ THE COVER.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what my reaction when I realised Alex was back:

and then this:

and This is what I did when I saw that it was the last page of the book:

and THIS is what I did when I saw the expected publication date of Requiem:

and this.

I hope there's someone else out there who understands that in the whole book of Pandemonium, I was basically just waiting for Alex to burst into the situation saying, "I WILL FIX EVERYTHING!".
BUT NO. He came on the very last page of the book. Now miss Lauren Oliver is making me wait an awful 8 MONTHS FOR THE NEXT BOOK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

Quotes Lauren Liked

Lauren Oliver
“And you can't love, not fully, unless you are loved in return.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“This is the strange way of the world, that people who simply want to love are instead forced to become warriors.”

Lauren Oliver
“We wanted the freedom to love. We wanted the freedom to choose. Now we have to fight for it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won’t make it home, I’m already half-dead
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.”

“Take down the walls.”

Lauren Oliver
“Don't you get that yet? You don't know shit about me, I don't know shit about you. You don't even know shit about you.”

03/08/2013 page 67
03/09/2013 page 97
24.0% "wtf Alex you're really annoying me. If you weren't Alex Sheathes I'd hate you."
03/09/2013 page 240
61.0% "Alex still loves her. I CAN SENSE IT." 2 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tessa Me too!

Vanessa I feel the exact same way, aaaaaaagony

message 3: by Mahlyn (new)

Mahlyn same here

Laura EXACTLY HOW I FELT! I had to re-read that and like flipping the whole book for another chapter...couldn't believe it. And couldn't scream because it was 2 in the morning... too much feelings!

Jennifer OH MY GOD !!!! THIS. EXACTLY. THIS IS WHAT I OMG I DID THE SAME OH HOLY COW THIS IS KINDA CREEPY.. because I didn't thought someone would have reacted the way as I did and then I saw this .. :DDD

message 6: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L Felt exactly the same!!!! Love the drama in the review btw! ;D

Hannah OMIGOSH That is the SAME way I felt I was like screaming with excitement and then I turned the next pg and it was over there were no more words to read. I was speechless for a second then I burst out in tears. lol I can't wait for 2013!

Nicole exactly how i feel.

message 9: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Burgos I felt exactly the sameee way.. I just can't wait, who can wait after seeing alex is back? asdf!

message 10: by Liery (new) - added it

Liery Ahhhh! Me TOO!

message 11: by Berenice (new)

Berenice you just made me want to read this series

Kathleen omg love the usage of gifs and i feel the exact same way >_< cant wait!

message 13: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I'm going to die before March of anticipation, the hell?! After the last page now I'm so........depressed, XD

message 14: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea I read the entire thing thinking "WHEN IN THE HELL IS SHE GOING TO WISE UP AND REALIZE HE'S IN THE CRYPTS???" When she picks up the book I thought she was about to find out. I was so frustrated.

message 15: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie Bucher Same!!!! I'm 100 percent #teamalex

message 16: by Ayanna~ (new) - added it

Ayanna~ o my!!!! i feel like im in a room with my closest family!!! i feel exactly the same way! i mean, lena was really clueless in this book about the crypts, alex, julian her mom... everything. and its like what the fudge when she actuall kisses julian. while i was reading i was practically screaming alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

i feel the exact same way! #TeamAlex

Jordyn Schnabel Yes!! Im not the only hopeless romantic praying for this book to come out Evan a week sooner and then choke the author if half the book isn't devoted to Alex!!

message 19: by Ayanna~ (new) - added it

Ayanna~ eeek! i thnk im gonna choke, fall out my chair,and go unconscious with my tongue sticking out like one of those dramatic cartoon characters. i mean it's like u all are reading my mind!!! it's kinda freaking me out! so, i've come to conclusions that i agree with EVERYTHING u guys say!

message 20: by Tani (new) - added it

Tani Guzman LMAO!!!!!! This is the best comment I've ever seen in my life!!! I laughed so hard because I completely agree with all of it! But seriously I cant wait any longer for this book!! Does anyone know how many are going to be in the series??

Lauren Tani wrote: "LMAO!!!!!! This is the best comment I've ever seen in my life!!! I laughed so hard because I completely agree with all of it! But seriously I cant wait any longer for this book!! Does anyone know h..."

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a trilogy, unfortunately. Well, plus that book about Hana.

Hannah Same here! love the books,love Alex (so not Julian),Love the books,Love Alex (so not Julian)!!!!! lol #TeamAlex

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

you guys are like, my people, okay. now, most people think that i am just a freaky weardo, nerd person who rereads books, and flips out over somthing in a book. I am also the kind of person who makes all of her screensavers and backrounds something to do with a certian book. I AGREE WITH, LIKE, EVERTHING YOU ALL SAID ON THIS PAGE!!! so you guys would never judge me, right? but if you do think im just a weardo nerd person, i will not hate you. (you are probabley somebody popular if you think that of me)

Hannah Glori wrote: "you guys are like, my people, okay. now, most people think that i am just a freaky weardo, nerd person who rereads books, and flips out over somthing in a book. I am also the kind of person who ma..."
OH MAN!!! No way you are awesome!!!! GO ALEX!!!!

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Sep 20, 2012 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lauren Glori wrote: "you guys are like, my people, okay. now, most people think that i am just a freaky weardo, nerd person who rereads books, and flips out over somthing in a book. I am also the kind of person who ma..."

Ha, you're perfectly normal to us xD My current wallpaper is Caesar Flickerman's head in a Caesar salad xD

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

you guys are so sweet thanks! ;)

message 27: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Bennington i'm glad to see i wasnt the only one waiting for alex. haha and im glad i wasnt the only one to have a violent reaction to seeing the next book isnt going to be readable for quite a while. i literally thought i may pass out from disappointmenet. have you read Hana from lauren oliver?

Lauren Yes, I actually read it just last night. I thought it was fantastic! I really wish it was a full book, so I'm really excited that some of Requiem is going to be in Hana's P.O.V!

message 29: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Bennington I am also very excited. however i am somewhat upset and confused by hana's actions in Hana and her actions in the actual book. they seem to contridict eachother. i cannot wait to hear what was is all going on with hana!

Amelia my reaactiions were the same :( why are they doing this to us? i will die with boredom of the time between today and march 5th :(

Christyn I know EXACTLY what you mean, I went thru all those emotions and then some!

message 32: by Sumayyah (new)

Sumayyah Omg u couldn't have described the feeling any better lol this sucks i can't wait till march :( haha

message 33: by SGBL (new) - added it

SGBL Omg! I feel the exact same things. I cried when Alex appeared at the very end I was left with this book hangover. Asdfghjkl!!!!

message 34: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) His first words to her kind of shocked me. And you are certainly not the only one. How the fuck will I make it till march? :(

Rachel P Ugh, yes!!! Me too! I cannot wait another day! Exact same reactions too....

Jennifer OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG...
ugh why why I want it now !

message 37: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Fowler I am so glad I didn't read the Delirium and Pandemonium until a few days ago, I can barely wait a week let alone if I would have had to wait months!! I can NOT wait for this book! My favorite series in awhile!!

Kayse And I'm so happy right now because Fox has been working to create a pilot and TV show for Delirium.
:D

message 39: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn I understand completely how you feel. I was reading the book thinking Where is He, Where is Alex any day now. And then he finally shows up and shes with someone else. What makes it even better was the fact that the last word of the book was "Alex" I almost died. Can't wait for Requiem to come out. And a TV show or movie would definitely be really cool.

message 40: by Ming (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ming Me too!!!

message 41: by Naomi (new)

Naomi You just described my reactions perfectly.