Kara's Reviews > Greasy Rider: Two Dudes, One Fast-Food-Fueled Car, and a Cross-Country Trip in Search of a Greener Future

Greasy Rider by Greg Melville

Oct 16, 08

bookshelves: energy, first-reads

I expected Greasy Rider to be informative. I did not expect it to be funny. Greg Melville is a funny writer and managed to get me laughing out loud as he described car breakdowns, emotional breakdowns, snowstorms, a desperate search for fry oil, and the effect of death on travel writing (“If you die, it would really help me out,” he tells his wingman Iggy).

The book is the classic American road trip – green style. Melville does a wonderful job explaining both the mechanics – from a decidedly non mechanical point of view – of both the car and the oil as well as describing the insanity anyone will encounter when they traverse this… diverse yet homogenous nation of ours.

But then Melville goes a step further and researches in a series of side trips other forms of alternative energy – solar, wind, ethanol, switchgrass, soylant green (kidding!), and geothermal. Some of his research made me cry for the soon to be departed human race, other research was incredibly amazing and incredibly hopeful. Also, I now want to work for Google – and not just for the juice.

My only question – how did he get home? This book is really only half a book. I hope to see more from him in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greasy Rider.