Cecilia Quick's Reviews > The Drop

The Drop by Michael Connelly

F 50x66
Jun 24, 2012

Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Welcome back, Harry! After his last outing, I was homesick for the real Harry, and he's heard my plea and returned home. Harry has grown older, and with the peace that his relationship with his daughter brings him, is no longer the angst-ridden, tortured noir detective. I miss that a bit, but it's a logical emotional progression, and I enjoy his relationship with his daughter. There are two stories that do not intertwine; one is a cold case and the other involves the death of the son of Harry's greatest nemesis. I really like having Harry on the cold case squad; I found that case the more interesting of the two. I like procedurals, and the cold case was solved by solid detective work. One thing surprised me: Clayton Pell's mother was a prostitute, and Harry's mother was a prostitute, and there was no mention of that fact. In the book Harry comments that lots of kids have it rough and don't turn to crime; he doesn't bring up that he was one of them. It seems likely he would have thought about the parallels of their childhoods. I liked it that he forgave Chu; it showed that Harry has matured and grown, and I thought it was the right resolution. It was ironic that in the modern case Harry's nemesis turns out to have been clean all along (although I'm assuming it didn't change the conclusion regarding the death; that was a little vague). I was glad (SPOILER ALERT)that Harry didn't kill the villain when he had the chance; even though he regretted it, it would have made him no better than the killer himself. It was what Kiz failed to understand; and the two stories illustrated that point well: by using Irving's tactics to bring him down, she has now become no better than Irving was. It was sad to see Kiz become part of the political wheel, but it was a logical and natural development. I thought the potential love interest was a nutjob and any man I've ever met would have run for the hills after her meltdown after they slept together, just like Harry did. Two nits: given the magnitude of the crimes committed by the first villain, it seemed unlike Harry to take some of the risks that he did that could ruin a prosecution. Second, I'd like to see Maddy build a relationship with Haylee and there was no development of the relationship with his half brother, or explanation of why he's avoiding one. Overall, I enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drop.