Meagan's Reviews > Paris in Love

Paris in Love by Eloisa James

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: travel, netgalley, nonfiction, memoir
Read from June 24 to July 03, 2012

I'm lucky enough to have travelled a decent amount in my life, and I'm lucky enough to be able to say that I've been to Paris twice. And Paris is beautiful. The food there is delicious. And yet, it's probably third or fourth on my list of favorite cities, after London, Barcelona, and Edinburgh. But it's first by a mile on my list of favorite places to read about. Paris seems to inspire a dreamy kind of devotion in people, an unabashed enthusiasm that's rare to encounter on any subject. People wax rhapsodic on the food, the art, the people, the history, the architecture, the fashion. There is no more pleasurable travel reading experience, for me, than a bewitched author describing down to the smallest element the perfect meal, eaten on a gorgeous evening on the sidewalks of a city they've come to adore. Paris is the only city that seems to consistently inspire this level of affection, which makes it unendingly entertaining to read about.

What makes this particular book unique, and what I, at least, loved about it, is that it's made up largely of the author's Facebook status updates. These are casual snippets, mere glimpses, of everyday life in Paris. They range from amusing family anecdotes, to descriptions of interesting people or places, to my favorite: luscious descriptions of fabulous French meals. And because these posts were written so much in the moment, they offer a very real view into what it might be like for me, if I were brave enough and lucky enough to live for a year in Paris. It's the best kind of escapist travel writing, where I imagine putting my life on hold to learn French, eat beautiful food, stroll through an eternal city, and live in a charming Parisian apartment. Would I actually adore this life like I imagine I would? Perhaps not. But the imagining itself? Heaven.

*A free copy of this book was provided by Netgalley
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris in Love.