Shannon's Reviews > Sidetracked

Sidetracked by Henning Mankell

U_50x66
Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: swedish-crime

This was one of my favourites so far in the series. I was kept up at night because I had to find out what happened next and couldn't put the book down! I just love the image of Southern Sweden that Mankell paints in these books and all the social issues that he manages to address. Wallander is not a completely loveable character - but he is authentic. Throughout the book, we see his strengths as well as his vices and weaknesses which make a refreshingly realistic story. This is perhaps also what makes the crimes that Mankell creates so intriguing and so terrifying. Mankell's writing style is also refreshing - concise and to the point, without pretentious descriptive fluff, but at the same time, it isn't hollow, empty, or lacking. The conclusion of the book wrapped things up nicely but also left me feeling uncertain and somewhat apprehensive about what the future has in store for Wallander. Even though the crime was solved, there's still a cloud of gloom hanging over everything. I actually quite like the morose feeling of this kind of ending. It really haunts me and makes my thoughts continually drift back to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sidetracked.