Eric's Reviews > 1st to Die

bookshelves: mysteries
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012

1st to Die
by James Patterson

This was a book that I have been wanting to read for a very long time. There was a tv series that only lasted 13 episodes based on this book series. The few episodes I saw of that show made me interested in the books, but I never got around to reading them (the story of my reading life). I saw that my local library had an ebook copy of the books, so I decided to put it on hold. Little did I know how quickly the hold for the ebook would come in. It came in on friday and I started reading it on Saturday.

I have never truly had the experience of reading a page-turner where I couldn't put a book down, but I can no longer say that. This book was one that gripped me from the first page. I loved the fact that each chapter is so short because it helps to keep your attention on the story and knowing that each chapter serves a particular point in the plot. I had to only put the book down when I finally went to bed at 2 am. Then I picked it up almost immediately on Sunday.

James Patterson created interesting characters in Lindsay, Claire, Cindy, and Jill. These women are the members of the Women's Murder Club. Most of the time in a series the introduction book or first novel is so busy trying to introduce the concept that there is a lot left to be desired. This doesn't happen here because the story focuses mainly on the mystery instead of the introduction of the club. Patterson was intelligent enough to let Lindsay take the book fully and let the formation of the group be secondary. This helps make this book be a strong introduction to the series and one that stands apart from the other introductory novels in other series (think Janet Evanovich's One for the Money).

The other shocking thing about this book is that Patterson being male seems to understand somewhat the basic idea of a female relationship. He doesn't try to oversell these women becoming friends. He simply guides them together and lets them do the rest. It appears almost effortlessly.

The one issue with Patterson, in the beginning of the book, is that he keeps mentioning the location of the book being in San Francisco. Every other line felt that he was beating back into our heads that this was there. He would do this by restating where it was and also putting in little gems like San Francisco State University thus again stating the exact locale. In subsequent novels in the series I hope Patterson has learned to trust that his readers can get it the first time around.

Overall this is a solid first book in the Women's Murder Club series and makes this reader want to continue on with the series. I am looking forward to reading "2nd Chance", which is the second book. I will however have to put it on reserve at the library as well. We will see how fast I get this next edition. As soon as I receive it I will read it and review it stat.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1st to Die.