Dana's Reviews > Zodiac

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: favorites, love-that-dirty-water
Read from June 23 to July 08, 2012

I can't help it, I'm a Masshole through and through, and there's no one as obsessed with seeing their city in fiction as a Bostonian, so this is my favorite of Stephenson's works, and I'm surprised it's not more well known. (I've only ever been able to find this book in Cambridge bookstores). I read this, mostly on the T, while sweating through a Boston heatwave; surely this has to be the optimal Zodiac-reading experience. As with most of Stephenson's works, there were some two-bit characters I couldn't keep track of and some sciencey stuff that went over my head, but the ride was so much fun it didn't matter. Although clearly set in the 80's, if anything, this felt less dated than Snow Crash; I guess treehuggers, stoners, and New England misanthropy is timeless.

If you have zero interest in Boston, you hate Boston, or you don't like first person narrators who aren't warm and fuzzy, you probably shouldn't bother.

Trivia: on the inside cover, lyrics from "Dirty Water" (...oh, Boston, you're my home!) are incorrectly attributed to The Inmates. This song was in fact written by The Standells! (This error is particularly egregious considering that when they covered it, The Inmates changed the lyrics to reflect London and the Thames)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zodiac.

06/27/2012 page 100
07/03/2012 page 200
63.0% "I love that dirty water!"