Rebecca's Reviews > West of Want

West of Want by Laura Kaye

Jul 26, 12

Read from July 20 to 26, 2012

This is the Laura Kaye I love! This book brings me back to the passion of Hearts in Darkness and the fantasy of North of Need, all wrapped up in one neat little package. Book 2 in the Hearts of the Anemoi series introduces us the the God of the West, Zeph. (I have to admit I find the name Zeph quite sexy and will refer to him as that.) As typical of the ancient Gods he feels he has something to prove, and he is amazingly gorgeous and wonderful. Ella is strong, resilient, and unafraid to make the right, but not always easy, decisions. The fact that they are both tormented and hurt, wanting and needful, is essential to the story. And No one seems to have the upper hand. Well, maybe Eurus.

Even lost in all the fantasy the story always seems believable. The amazing descriptions of the Chesapeake Bay and eastern Maryland coast were essential to the feel of the book. And didn't disappoint. In fact the whole book was filled with vivid descriptions and writing that just captivated me. The characters were multidimensional and dripping with emotion. The fact that "Gods" were dealing with betrayal, death, and family turmoil just brought all the magic home.

I really liked the fact that Owen had an essential part in the story. (Those of you familiar with the series will know who Owen is) A lot of time in these romance "series" the characters are very different from book to book and don't reaper. Having Owen as a central player in the action and family was a touch I appreciated.

As usual the formula was there. Anemoi comes into the human realm and meets and falls in love with a mortal women. Mortal women accepts who he is, and his magic, and they try to build a relationship. The difference add some degree of difficulty. In this case it adds a lot of difficulty, and the ending was not the usual happily ever after. I was shocked. In a pleasant way. The conclusion of their love story was different, and emotional, and if I say much more I might give away too many secrets.

Laura Kay hit a home run with this book. She just cemented her place as one of my favorite authors in the romance genre and highlighted how versatile she is. If you read one paranormal romance this year, make it West of Want!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read West of Want.