Cindi's Reviews > Promises

Promises by Marie Sexton

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, m-m, series
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I am torn on how to rate this. I have read a ton of reviews. All of my Goodreads friends or authors that I follow have given it either 4 or 5 stars (mostly 5). While I enjoyed the story for the most part, I am feeling like maybe I missed something.

With the exception of a much older man, Jared is the only gay person in the small town that he lives in. Matt is new in town and works for the police department. The two meet when Matt is interested in buying Jared's sister's (Lizzy's) car. They develop a quick friendship. Jared is instantly attracted but doesn't act on it because Matt has made it very clear that he is straight. They spend a lot of time together and Jared's feelings turn to love. Matt is given a hard time by his homophobic coworkers because of all the time he spends with Jared so he dates a woman to get them off his back. There are homophobic parents (Matt's) and a few instances of violence by others. Matt's feelings for Jared start to change to something more than friendship and he freaks out because of the expectations of his parents and because he's been taught that to love another man is wrong.

I love friends-to-lovers stories. I always have. I enjoyed watching Matt as he finally came to terms with what he was feeling for Jared. While I enjoyed that, my feelings for Matt changed as the story played out. Sure, I liked him in the beginning but that changed as the story went on. While I could understand why he was the way he was in regards to getting involved with a man, I did not like how he treated Jared while he was battling himself over those feelings. My opinion did not change much once he actually came to terms with those feelings.

(view spoiler)

I enjoyed watching the relationship develop over time. It was refreshing to not see insta-love that is so common in these stories. There was friendship first that developed into love. I liked watching Matt as he dealt with his feelings. The author did not gloss over the seriousness of his fear. She allowed it to play out. Other than what I mentioned in the above spoiler, I did like the story. I loved Jared. I was even okay with some of the secondary characters though it was difficult to read some of the statements made by Matt's dad. I know there are still people like that in this world (which is sad) but it was still hard to witness.

Overall, a very good story. While I had a few issues with Matt I did actually enjoy the book. I believe this is my first by this author. I am sure I will move on to the 2nd in the series soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises.