Tehani's Reviews > Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

1900754
Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: sf, romance, ebook
Read from June 23 to 26, 2012

I don't even know what to say about this book except a) nyah nyah, I've read it already and most everyone else will most likely wait until later in the year to buy a proper copy (I bought an uncorrected eArc from Baen!) and b) it's really, REALLY good. Karen Healey described it as a "straight up romance … in SPACE!" which is a pretty good definition, but doesn't come anywhere close to how clever and well put together it is!

Bujold has a gift for taking different genre tropes and dropping them into her Vorkosigan world (in SPACE!) - we've seen so many different types of books from her over the past two decades, all following the characters of the saga, and this means you never get tired of them or the setting, because it's always handled differently. With Ivan taking centre stage (with dollops of other favourite folk for long-time readers, and little gems of backstory for the loyalists!), "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance" takes on a new voice. It's a delight to read, and really is Bujold at her best. Loved it!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.

06/25/2012 page 120
30.0% "Laugh out loud, action packed awesomeness! This is Bujold at her best and I'm loving it!"
show 1 hidden update…