Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Death Magic

Death Magic by Eileen Wilks

Synopsis:

DEATH MAGIC opens with Special Agent Lily Yu in Washington, D.C. with her fiancé--lupi prince Rule Turner—to testify before a Senate subcommittee about her role in the magical collapse of a mountain last month. She is not there to tell them about the strange legacy she carries from that event—or about the arcane bond between her and Rule--or what her boss in Unit Twleve of the FBI’s Magical Crimes Division is really up to. She sure won’t tell them that the lupi are at war with an Old One who wants to remake humanity in her own image.

Lily is managing the conflict between her duty as an officer of the law and the need for secrecy pretty well . . . until the rabidly anti-magic senator who chairs that committee is murdered. The line between right and wrong, always so clear to her, becomes hopelessly blurred as events catapult them all towards disaster, and prophecies of a cataclysmic end to the country she loves and serves--and to the entire race of lupi--seem well on their way to being fulfilled.

My Thoughts:

Once again, Lily and Rule are in DC. Rule to talk to a Senator about some legislation and Lily to be questioned by that same Senator on events that occurred when the mountain that Friar's home was on collapsed. Only, it turns that there's some setups going on.

Lily and Rule visit with Ruben and his wife Deborah at a dinner party that Ruben holds at his house. He then asks Lily and Rule to stay afterwards along with Dr. Fagin whom we met a few books back. During this meeting, Lily learns that Ruben, Rule and Fagin are involved in something she wants no part of-a unit working outside of the law in order to fight the war against her. Lily won't rat on them, but she doesn't want to get involved because she's a cop all the way down and not doing things by the book tend to set her teeth on edge. She's initially upset that Rule has been keeping secrets from her, but she gets over it. She tries to prod him for info from time to time, but quickly realizes that he won't and can't tell her anything if she isn't willing to join the Shadow Unit.

We also learn that Ruben has been having some really disturbing dreams about the future and they are what lead him to start the Shadow Unit in the first place. And She-Who-Cannot-Be-Named sure wants Ruben out of the way. So they set him up and they do a pretty good job of it, too. When Lily learns Ruben is going to be arrested, she does something she should not do, but the bad guys totally expect her to do. And the result of that is something really unexpected and we learn just why Lily was holding the Wythe mantle. I really did not see that coming at all. I knew there was a reason that the Lady wanted to lupi allied with Ruben, but to do this? That was a shock. The other result from Lily doing what she did is that she gets thrown in jail. That was both a shock and not. It did lead her to making a decision, though. One Ruben previously told Rule that they really needed her to make.

I really liked this one. I was on edge wondering how they would come out on top of this. And who would have thought that a troop of Brownies would save the day? There's death magic, people trying to kill Cullen-again, set ups, traps, earth elementals and serious game changing surprises all over the place. Also, Isen was there. Wilks is really upping the ante here and I can't help but to wonder just how Lily, Rule and the rest of the lupi will beat her at her game. I'm always so worried someone's going to die. So far, so good, but it's always such a near thing! Heck, this time, Lily even ends up with her own pet ghost. Go fig.

Here's hoping the momentum keeps up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Magic.

03/26/2013
28.0% "So many things are changing. And why does Lily keep having these headaches? She didn't have one until after she saw that ghost. Now, they keep happening. And this stuff going on with Ruben. So much can go bad."
03/26/2013
32.0% "He would partner her with someone who hates her."
03/26/2013
33.0% "She saw it again. I so want to know the identity of whatever she's seeing and if it's related to her headaches."
03/26/2013
34.0% "Seems they really need Lily to come around about the whole Shadow Unit thing."
03/26/2013
35.0% "Huh. Maybe working with Mullins won't be so bad after all."
03/26/2013
37.0% "The mantle is making her head hurt. It seems to be trying to help her, but apparently, whatever it's doing isn't good for her."
03/26/2013
37.0% "And she's doing something to it, too. If it's hurting her, why did the Lady want her holding it?"
03/26/2013
47.0% "Someone just tried to kill them!"
03/26/2013
54.0% "Surely, Ruben is being set up."
03/26/2013
55.0% "How dare they point guns at them! They came to the hospital to get treated and they point guns at them."
03/26/2013
57.0% "That's the pain Ruben foresaw. Oh shit."
03/26/2013
58.0% "Why would the Lady put Lily in danger like this?"
03/26/2013
59.0% "I knew he was going to do that."
03/26/2013
63.0% "The Lady must have manipulated things so that Lily would get caught at Ruben's and get locked up. Can't resist being a part of a shadow organization if she doesn't work for the government anymore. Especially considering Lily's been around Ruben before and the mantle hadn't left her."
03/26/2013
70.0% "Totally knew he was the second."
03/27/2013
78.0% "Sounds like they just might still be trying to set Lily up for something."
95.0% "Browines ftmw!"
03/27/2013
97.0% "I think I know what the mysterious Rhej business was about now."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lala (new)

Lala okay, I guess this series is really good since you are literally devouring it)))) Adding to my TBR)))

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Haha, yes. I love this series. The first few books might not grab you right away, but thing really start picking up with book 5.

message 3: by Lala (new)

Lala I'll keep that in my mind))

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Awesome. I'm looking forward to what you think of them once you get a chance to start.