Elizabeth's Reviews > Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a Drug Addict, Criminal, Mental Patient, and Then Turned 16

Kasher in the Rye by Moshe Kasher

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended for: wigga wannabees

I read this book in one day, laughing the whole way even though some of it is not funny. How can one not love a book with chapters titled with songs from rap stars in the 90s... Snoop, NWA, Geto boys... they're all here. If you too were enamored with them growing up, you will immediately relate.

We follow Moshe in Oakland as he struggles through adolescence, wigga style. He's quick witted, chubby and has a loud mouth. Growing up in a fractured family with extremes: deaf parents and religion. At times it's frustrating to read as he lays it all out and it's not pretty. You want to reach in the book and shake him out of it, out of his all consuming rage and shame that leads to so many bad choices. He and his friends party hard and growing up in Oakland, are infused with rapper awe.

By the end of the book, some of his friends make it out and some do not. Such is life of edgy poor kids. I sure am glad Moshe made that right turn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kasher in the Rye.