Rachael's Reviews > The Final Solution

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, historical-fic, favorites
Read in June, 2012

There are so many problems with this book and yet so many reasons to love it. The writing style ended up being the main draw for me. It is overly smug, self-aware, and basically non-stop *wink wink nudge nudges* for much of it. But it was so over the top, I think purposefully so, that I couldn't help but find it hilarious and I absolutely loved it. I think I must have been in just the right mood for it when I started reading it as I could easily see this annoying me to no end were I in another mood. Of the three mysteries of the book, two are essentially MacGuffins in nonphysical form and only the question of the meaning of the numbers has any significance to the reader. The solution there is simultaneously painfully obvious yet buried in tiny clues that a less than astute reader could easily miss. I don't much like the solution, because of its predictability, but I do admire the way the clues are layered in the writing. Chabon's careful attention to detail, language, and mood all ended up making me love this for its writing far more than the story itself merits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Solution.