Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Blade Song

Blade Song by J.C. Daniels

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

When I first sat down to write this review, I realized that I had a bit of a problem — how on earth was I going to rein in my inner Fangirl long enough to put together coherent sentences on just how fantastic this book was? I’m still not certain that I am able to do it justice, but suffice it to say, I loved this book. It easily ranks right up there with my adoration of Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels series, Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series, and yes, even Stacia Kane’s Downside Ghosts series, and I will tell you that is no small feat at all.

With not only intriguing characters but fascinating world-building, new twists on old mythologies as well as original creations, and an exciting mystery behind the disappearance of many non-human children, the story never felt rushed, even though it was full of action and multi-faceted characters that made it easy to become fully immersed in Kit’s world.

Recommended for fans of strong heroines with a horrifying past, of alpha heroes with hidden depths, and of fresh new twists on old mythologies.

An impossibly solid 5/5 Stars.
*As of 7/10, I've read this three times. If anyone wonders why I'm "behind" on my 2012 reading challenge, this is why lol (and yes, it's still 5/5)

A Slightly Off-Topic Rant (10.19.2012)

I've noticed quite a few reviews where people were upset that Kit wasn't a Kate Daniels clone. Kit isn't Kate, despite the similarity in names and their penchants for sharp pointy things. Kit is, well, Kit. She has a completely different past, a different skill set, different magic, and lives in a completely different world with its own set of rules.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I first read this and went around the internet gushing to anyone who would listen about how this was the best Urban Fantasy I'd read since the Kate Daniels series, it wasn't because I thought that Kit and Kate were so similar, it's because I recognized in Kit the same vulnerability, stubbornness, and potential that I saw in Kate in her first book.

If you look back at Kate in her first novel, she was a lot younger and lacked a lot of the experience and maturity that has developed her character into the awesome power that she is. Kit's also like that in some ways -- she's not superwoman, she doesn't always make the right choices, she occasionally acts impulsively, and she's got her own personal demons to battle just like anyone else. And I for one can't get enough of her.

So please don't go into this expecting a heroine just like Kate Daniels, or you're probably going to be disappointed. And please, don't be put off by the reviews expressing disappointment that Kit turned out not to be Kate... Instead, go into this book with an open mind, and I think you'll find that Kit is a character that you're going to want to follow through many books to come.

(and yes, this is STILL a 5/5 for me!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade Song.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lura I'm seriously considering reading this one again as well. I love it!

Jess the Romanceaholic I'm fangirling all over myself from this and couldn't resist the rereads. :P I'm glad to see someone agree!

Amanda P It's been lingering on the back of my mind since I've finished it. I haven't re-read it...yet. But I probably will at some point. =)

Lura I'm about to write my review (later today, I hope). I know that's going to have me wanting to read it again! (And again.)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haven't read this yet but loved your off-topic rant --- I never get that... when people compare books (negatively... it's one thing to compare a book, and say it's as good as ---blank--- series or author but to compare it and say it's NOT as good, I think that's wrong simply because they are two DIFFERENT series or books or authors or whatever so of COURSE they aren't going to be the same and it's not fair to the author of THIS book/series/whatever to compare. You're setting up the author/book/series to fail :(