Philip's Reviews > Brimstone

Brimstone by Robert B. Parker

Dec 27, 14

bookshelves: western, fiction-series, audiobooks, fiction, first-person
Read from July 20 to 25, 2012

Another enjoyable "chapter" in the story of Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, (since all these books are fairly short, all four stories in the series add up to one medium-sized Larry McMurtry Western). Virgil and Everett remain entertaining company, although I was not thrilled with the return of Virgil's love interest Allie French, who is even flakier in this story than in the original "Appaloosa." I also found the figure of Brother Percival to be pretty much a stereotypical Old West corrupt preacher.

Overall, however, an enjoyable read, with the same general lack of dramatic action found in the earlier stories (not meant as a bad thing; the lack of suspense and build up leading to the sudden bursts of violence is probably a more accurate reflection of what life was like at that time and place than what is found in most other Westerns).

Will move on now to "Blue-Eyed Devil," which I hope really provides a fitting conclusion to this series , since Parker died shortly before this final installment was published.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brimstone.