Philip's Reviews > Resolution

Resolution by Robert B. Parker

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: western, fiction-series, audiobooks
Read in July, 2012

I enjoy these books almost the same way I enjoy the "Chet and Bernie" mysteries -- not so much for the stories themselves, as for the pleasure of just spending more time listening into the two lead characters, in this case Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch. They have a nice "Butch & Sundance" kind of relationship, which in this book was enhanced by their rather complex (and therefore interesting) relationship with fellow gunfighters/competitors Cato and Rose, (who almost merit their own story).

The stories are (I have to believe) intentionally low-key and laconic -- not a lot really goes on, compared to the amount of action and plot crammed into most contemporary fiction -- which really helps get you into the feel and the rhythm of the Old West. I've noticed that several other reviewers complained about the frequent use of "he said," "I said;" but listening to this on CD, I found the rhythm almost soothing and also somewhat reflective of the low-key tone of the whole story. If you're looking for an action-packed shoot-em-up, keep looking. But if you want what is probably a more realistic take on the slow, boring pace of life in the Old West -- punctuated by frequent bursts of guilt-free violence -- then this is a pretty enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resolution.