Patricia Kemp Blackmon's Reviews > Lizzie and the Guernsey Gang

Lizzie and the Guernsey Gang by April W. Gardner

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: children-s-books
Read from July 28 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Lizzy is only nine years old is facing the reality of War with Germany. They have taken over her beautiful Guernsey Island leaving all of it's residents cut-off in every way from the rest of the world. Lizzy, her six year old brother and her best friend James love to play on the beach but now there are restrictions, rules and curfews to abide.

Lizzie believes that God will only be on England's side and not the German's. She does not like Philip the weird boy that lives in the same hotel the German's have occupied. In her opinion he is a German Nazi traitor. But he has always been kind to her. She will not be kind to him or the other German's.

In order for Lizzy, her brother and James to play they go to James garage and play under, in and all over an old boat that is in need of repair. They are on a cruise or they are pirates while at play. No matter how much they play the fact that they could be killed at any time by the German's never leave there young minds.

Lizzie can see the stress and fatigue in her parents faces. She can also hear them whispering and she knows it has something to do with the war. Her father is a preacher and tells them that God has a plan and they should trust God and not be afraid because He is with them always.

To find out this story is about an actual girl named Ruth but has been given the fiction name Lizzie making the book even better.

This book and series will be an eye opener and interesting read for children. What a wonderful way to learn about WWII. History is not an easy or fun subject for some kids and this I am sure will peak their interest to learn more. Teacher's need to share this series with their students.

I am looking forward to reading more about Lizzie and the Guernsey Gang.

I highly recommend this book.

I rated this book 5 out of 5.

Disclosure
I was given a free digital copy of this book from the author and Astraea Press for review. I was in no way compensated for this review. It is my own opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie and the Guernsey Gang.