Athalvard's Reviews > Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Jun 23, 12

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

This book, overall, was... pretty good in the beginning, but as the story progressed the plot became extremely obvious and predictable. The writing style kind of threw me off for a while; I didn't know that the whole book was written in verse instead of like a normal novel. I have nothing against reading poems, but I expected a novel, not something like the first page:

"Motherless.
nay, hundreds
of brothers.
Only two real ones:
brash Lavain
and my biggest brother, thoughtful Tirry.
The others are not brothers by blood.
There are so many of them;
I call a few my friends:
Lancelot, Arthur's second,
but handsomer, still.
Arthur himself, who is a captain in
his uncle Ambrosius Arelius's army."

That being said, it is a VERY fast read, and entertaining enough for an afternoon. But, half the book is finished by the time she meets Gwynivere, who is mentioned on the inside front cover, and that whole half is spent with Elaine going around camp wishing that Lancelot would see her as more than a "little girl." The ending came as no surprise to me; I won't summarize it here in case you want to read it, but let's just say that you could probably figure out what was going to happen by the time you'd read a little more than half of the book. I know that I did.

So overall, it was a nice idea, and the author was creative with how she wrote it, but everything was just too obvious and predictable for my liking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Sparrow.