Steph's Reviews > The House of Tomorrow

The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni

Jul 01, 12

Read from June 23 to 30, 2012

House of Tomorrow hasn't left me with a lot to say, which may in fact say quite a lot considering I like to keep my reviews short and concise as it is. Bognanni's story is of a home-schooled boy named Sebastian and his scientologist-esque Nana who keeps him secluded from the outside world until a Misfits fan and his mama come for a visit, witness Nana's stroke, and consequently become entangled in Sebastian's life. Cut to Sebastian now lives with said Misfits fan, learns to play punk rock (badly), falls in lust with a wayward girl, and makes his first genuine friend, all while breaking away from Nana-dearest and beginning to create his own identity...Not bad. Funny and entertaining. The characters are thoroughly likeable. However, House of Tomorrow left me wanting something "more".

I don't know if Bognanni was striving to speak to the reader on a (for lack of a better word) spiritual level, or whether his purpose was merely to entertain (my guess would be the latter). It felt as though this novel teetered on the brink of transcending mere astheticism and the fun of a good coming -of- age romp, but it never takes that final leap; the danger and the grit are absent from the storytelling.

That said, this is a nice diversion if you happen to be like me and do a lot of "heavy" reading. This one will leave you with the lighthearted feeling of a Hughes-Ringwald angstfest with a super-feel good ending just before the credits role.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Tomorrow.