Alison's Reviews > Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle

Girl Walks into a Bar . . . by Rachel Dratch

Jun 23, 2012

bookshelves: american, comedy, essays, humor, memoir, non-fiction, pop-culture, tv
Recommended to Alison by: The Moth
Recommended for: Susie
Read from June 22 to 25, 2012

You know how in the entertainment industry, just because one thing has been successful, there have to be a million copycat versions of it? So with the success of Bossypants, it might seem like Rachel Dratch has a memoir because, hey, Tina Fey did it! Well, you'll be glad to know that's not the case at all with this book.

Particularly due to the "Midlife Miracle" part of her story that's referenced in the subtitle, Dratch has a real angle and story to tell. And she's so likeable, witty, self-deprecatingly funny and charming as she tells it. It's one of those books where you feel like, it's not really a literary memoir, but at the same time it's got way more heart and heft to it than a "celebrity bio"-- you feel more like you're hearing her voice and spending time hanging out with a funny friend as you're reading it.

Even though I'm not a parent, I totally related to so many of her themes in this book: about dating late in life, being single at an age when most people are married, not being a "Baby Shower Person," etc. I loved her honest descriptions of her feelings about motherhood and the expectations people put on mothers about sleep and breastfeeding...I could go on and on-- I loved it! I always liked her on SNL, but this book made me really love Rachel Dratch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Walks into a Bar . . ..

06/23/2012 page 135
06/23/2012 page 135
50.0% ""Body by Shtetl"--I love this woman."