Adriane Devries's Reviews > The Lake House

The Lake House by James Patterson

Jul 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: summer-read-novels

My husband checked out Lake House on audio from the library for our cross-country driving trip, and since he was the designated driver for almost 3,000 miles, I complied. I was more than a little afraid, based on the cover artwork, that this was one of those popular mystery-romance novels that sell by the thousands and have really bad dialogue. Imagine my delighted surprise when not long into the story appear genetically altered children and an evil scientist performing heinous acts against humanity in his secret, gleaming hospital. That’s more my style! The story of beautiful winged children bonding into an inseparable family unit in the face of legal and maniacal odds gripped and pulled us in, leaving us wanting more even after 7 discs and my one complaint: really foul language by minors. We found out there are more in this series, mostly for young adult (maybe the language will be better?). I was happily surprised to learn that James Patterson is a gifted storyteller with a delightfully diverse repertoire, casting visions that fly before your eyes like a movie on the screen, pun intended. It just goes to show that while you really can’t judge a book by its cover, sometimes a cover should be changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake House.