Therese Heckenkamp's Reviews > Death in the Choir

Death in the Choir by Lorraine V. Murray

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: catholic-fiction

Short and sweet (but not too sweet!) and seasoned with suspense--this is how I sum up Death in the Choir, a cozy mystery by Lorraine V. Murray.

Francesca, a lonely thirty-eight year old widow with no children, lives with a cat and a dreams of meeting someone special. For this purpose, she joins the choir at St. Rita's Catholic Church. She encounters a few romantic possibilities, but when death strikes, her focus shifts to uncovering the truth. Was it suicide--or murder? Everyone seems to have a motive. Suspects include choir members, relations of the deceased, even Father John and a handsome police detective.

Featuring a tight plot sprinkled with clues and humor, Death in the Choir reads smoothly and enticingly. The characters are convincing and well-rounded. From Francesca lying on the floor doing stomach-flattening exercises (and being interrupted by the doorbell and frantically preparing to answer it), to her mentally justifying taking "just one more" donut or muffin, she is real, she is flawed, and she is lovable. She is someone you could imagine being friends with.

At 181 pages, Death in the Choir is just the right length for a rainy-day read; it has the perfect amount of everything (plot, description, characters, dialogue), without a clutter of excess.

I thought I'd figured out the mystery, but I was wrong. The story keeps you thinking and guessing--and that's what you want in a mystery.

Death in the Choir is a satisfying and recommended read. And it is certainly refreshing to find a Catholic mystery geared for women readers! I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Death of a Liturgist.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in the Choir.