Heather's Reviews > To Be Sung Underwater

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, romance
Recommended to Heather by: Laura
Read from July 14 to 20, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Be Sung Underwater.

07/14/2012 page 78
18.0% "Took a little while to get hooked but I'm definitely in now!" 2 comments
07/15/2012 page 169
39.0% 3 comments
07/15/2012 page 213
49.0% "Getting ready to start on Part 2"

Laura This is a fabulous book. Beth & I each gave it 5 stars. Perfect summer read. I think you would really enjoy it.

Heather I'm hoping to get to it here in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it, seeing how much you two loved it! I need to finish Game of Thrones first, though, and also a library book that I've been on the waiting list for The Song of Achilles. Then I should be able to start on it. I'll definitely let you when I do!

Laura I'm thrilled! :D

Heather Was it a pretty quick read, L?

Laura Yes. Because it reels you in right away, and then once you're about 20% in, it gets harder to put down and the last half, practically impossible. You're just so immersed. You'll see. If you have a little time, it's one you'll be thru with in a few days. A week at the outside.

Heather Sounds great. I think I may go ahead and pick this up from the library tomorrow then.

Laura Wooooot!!

Laura OOh, when you starting? You know?

Heather I was just adding your name to the "recommended to me by" on my review. lol Did it pop up on the updates?

Not sure when I'll read it. Hopefully here in the next month or two. I was wondering, what kind of feel/atmosphere does this one have?

Laura It gave me a notification for it, lol! It is definitely a summer read. I'd put it as a cozy read, but one that takes you through some emotions. Does that help?

Heather Oh wow, I had this totally pegged as something different! I wasn't thinking "cozy" at all. I was picturing heavy and deeply emotional. I'm fine with the emotional part, but wasn't in the mood for heavy. Maybe I need to rethink this one! I haven't taken it back to the library yet. Hmmm...wondering now if I should put Poisonwood on the backburner. What to do, what to do!

Thanks, that did help!

message 12: by Laura (last edited Jul 13, 2012 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura I wouldn't call it heavy, Heather. I think if I had to classify it, I'd call it a romance. I don't think it's as simple as that, it's more "literary" fiction, but you could call it a romance without anyone raising eyebrows at you. There are issues of infidelity, but I don't think it's heavy.

I'll be really curious what you decide.

Laura Poisonwood, IMO is "heavy".

Laura It may be that the prologue threw you off. I could see where that would make you think heavy, but IMO it is not. I'd be curious what Beth would say. I wish this were like FB where you could tag people.

Heather I think I'll start on it again today and read further into it. I definitely got a heavy vibe the other day with the little I did read. I guess I just bailed too early. The romance aspect is appealing. The infidelity part, not so much. But if it's handled well and doesn't make me hate the main character, then we're good. I'll keep you posted after I've dove back in!

Laura Yay! I'm dying to hear what you think.

Laura I would say maybe try to read up to the part where Willy is introduced before giving up, if you can.

Heather Alrighty :)

Laura (((((((((((Heather)))))))))))) Oh, I hope and pray you love it.

Laura Ooh, still have the library book! It's chapter 4, page 51 of the hardback. I think if you can make it there, you'll be home free.

Heather I can do 50 pages, no problemo! I think I was expecting a different kind of story than what it actually is, so I'm excited to see how my initial impression changes. (not that it was a bad impression, it wasn't) I've got a little cleaning to do, then I'm grabbing a cup of coffee and cracking it open. I'll report back in later this afternoon, 'k? :)

Heather I hope I love it too!
((((((((L))))))))

Laura YAY! Dying to hear. I've been wasting time online today, instead of doing the work I was supposed to do! Here's to good luck to us both.