Shannon's Reviews > Summer of My German Soldier

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

Jun 23, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in June, 2012

I read Summer of My German Soldier as an 8th grader and just read it again this month with a group of my 8th graders. When I first read Greene's work, I remember feeling like I was crossing a threshold of sorts ... moving into adulthood. It was one of the first books I read with such adult themes, and I remember feeling for the characters and experiencing horror and anger and sorrow and thinking I'd be forever changed by the experience.

War. How do we allow war to mark us and change us? Abuse. Racism. And, again, how do we allow such things to effect our choices? Interestingly, all these years later, while my 8th graders have read books with adult themes already, many of them had a similarly visceral experience to Greene's novel. Greene was a YA author before YA was cool! ;) It's hard to say I really liked the book. It leaves one too raw. However, I can say, she did a masterful job and will touch the minds and hearts of many readers, likely for generations to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of My German Soldier.