Jeannine's Reviews > Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from June 23 to July 14, 2012

Beautifully written in the voice of a 14-year-old in 1987. The voice is just perfect - not too adult, not that sarcastic, Juno-esque, wiser-than-adults voice that sometimes happens when an author writes an adult book in a child's voice. The author strikes just the right balance with the 80s references peppered throughout.

The only things stopping me from granting 5 stars: some of the character motivations were odd, not in a compelling way, but in a totally "off" way. Greta, the older sister has a strange way of reacting to feeling left out of the relationship between June and Uncle Finn and the author leaves the Annie storyline dangling, unresolved for the reader. June, on the other hand, feels shame about her feelings towards her uncle, feelings that were never really explained. And the whole thing with the portrait in the bank vault and how the sisters have access to it is just ... off. I would say these things just didn't ring true.

A beautifully written book definitely worth reading. Looking forward to more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell the Wolves I'm Home.

07/10/2012 page 20