John's Reviews > Zone One

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

Jun 23, 12

Read in December, 2011

even when I didn't enjoy it, I admired it. Colson slums into zombie genre, but still makes a literary work that challenges readers. the emphases are misplaced (genre-wise) giving him room to talk about a host of topics: real estate, commodity culture, late capitalism, personal entanglements, propaganda, attachments to places, and more with wit and occasionally humor. The flashbacks have flashbacks. The tangents have tangents. It has a loosely stream-of-consciousness willingness to dogleg around the plot points. It reeks of loss and pessimism and I chose the darkest days of the year to wade through it. One dominant theme of the book is mediocrity and adaptation, two things often and wrongly supposed to be exclusive of one another. I am glad I made it through Zone One, though I regret that I came out the other side without the satori moments so many reviewers have tried to express. I am now more interested in reading Whitehead's other books and less interested in reading/watching anything zombified.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zone One.