Ben's Reviews > Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City

Jerusalem by Guy Delisle

Jul 05, 12

Read from June 23 to July 02, 2012

Guy Delisle has now released his fourth graphic travel memoir, and, to be honest, they keep getting better and better. Delisle is married to a doctor who works with Doctors Without Borders, and this job takes them all around the world. Previous graphic memoirs have covered North Korea, Shenzhen in China, and Burma, taking us places where travel is difficult and most of us will never venture. Delisle's perspective and sense of humor is what sets these works apart from other similar works. While his wife is off caring to the very needy, Delisle is, well, doing something quite similiar; taking care of their children in foreign lands. He has made a career of his graphic travel memoirs, so nowdays, his works discuss this activity too. His family's trip is told in short vignettes which often end in ironic punchlines or poignant, heavy realisations. In his most recent book, Delisle's wife is working with Palestinians, making sure they have enough medical care in trying time. Delisle's daily trials and tribulations include the difficulty of simply getting around a state with so much border control (internal and external), meeting other dad's, trying to make his way to famous destinations he wants to sketch while often being thwarted, dropping his keys down and elevator shaft, trying to capture a pet turtle for his kids, and other banal activities all along the backdrop of constant conflict, ancient history, and Kafka-esque bureaucracy. While I definitely recommend all if Delisle's work, which we have at the library, especially his other graphic travel memoirs (Pyongyang, Shenzhen, and Burma Chronicles), Jerusalem is my favorite of his works so far. Fans of independent / alternative comix, travel memoirs, and short stories set in foreign lands will all enjoy this!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jerusalem.