Sandy D.'s Reviews > Al Capone Does My Shirts

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

May 10, 2016

bookshelves: kids-books, historical-fiction, disabilities, western-u-s, united-states, mental-health-neurobiology
Read in August, 2008

Older grade-school aged kids' book that caught my ds's interest because he just saw a Mythbusters episode about the escape from Alcatraz (who says tv doesn't promote reading?). We read it together, and both enjoyed it - though I would say it probably isn't appropriate for kids younger than 4th grade or so.

Most of the story revolves around the main character, Moose, and his older sister, Natalie, who is autistic. The family moves to Alcatraz where their dad works as an electrician mainly so Nat will have a chance at getting into a special school in San Francisco.

Choldenko's sister is autistic, and the author worked as a docent on the island, so the story feels very authentic. I liked a lot of the details about life in the 1930's, ds loved the parts about the prison, and we both thought the parts about autism were pretty interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Al Capone Does My Shirts.