Anna's Reviews > Ask Me No Questions

Oct 15, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, teaching-tolerance
Recommended for: immigrants, teachers
Read in October, 2008

This is really moving story. It feels... heartbreaking. It's really beautiful and very sad but also way too real. Because of my parents (and their experiences as immigrants), this story meant a lot to me and I related well to Nadira and her family. I finished reading it and right away called my parents to tell them I love them. Especially my dad, who completely reminded me of Abba. The scenes with Abba were the ones that really made me cry.

In some ways I'm not surprised that a lot of people gave this book 2 or 3 stars. It's one of those stories where, I think, you have to have a lot of empathy for situation as well as the characters in order to really "get" it. If you think they are "illegal" and should be "deported" then, yeah, you probably won't really care for this book. I do hope that it opens some minds because it shows the "human" side of immigration issues. However, I think those that will really feel the impact of the story are immigrants -- documented or not. I can't tell you just how much this story meant to me because it struck so many emotional chords and put into words feelings and experiences that are often hard to articulate. The humiliation and fear that this family is put through is perfectly "normal" per INS and Patriot Act regulations but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that anyone should have to go through all this... yet it happens every day. Marina Budho's novel shows exactly how average immigrant families (and specifically Muslims in a post-9/11 world) are treated by the U.S. government and successfully shows that this isn't such a black-and-white issue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask Me No Questions.